Thursday, June 30, 2011

30 June / Interactive simulations

Today morning we've been having a look at some interactive simulations about different scientific topics in the University of Colorado's website. I've noticed that most of them were related to Physics&Chemistry concepts, while only a few of them were in connection with Biology or Earth Sciences, which I usually teach. However, in the 1st and 2nd levels the subject of Science also includes a basic introduction to some physics and chemistry important concepts, so, I think a lot of them could be useful for me.

If I had to choose only one, I would say the one about building atoms. I would use it after a short theoretical explanation about what an atom is, what its components are, and what the relations are between them. I think this theoretical basis must be superficial because the idea of using the simulation at a computer lab is that they can make up their own conclusions by trying different combinations of protons, neutrons and electrons. I also would give them some questions to answer as they are playing with the simulator, such as: which particles are responsible for the electric charge of the atoms? How do we atoms of different elements? etc.

I think this is a good exercise to my classes, because it's easy to carry out (we only need a computer lab reservation) and because it can be driven in different ways depending on how much you want to go into the topic (for instance, you can also go into electrons distribution in layers).

After the experience, it would be important to discuss students' conclusions in class.

Another simulation I've liked is that one about gravity and orbits, but it's time to have a break now. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment