Sunday, July 10, 2011

8 July / Museum of Science and Industry

The Museum of Science and Industry holds an espectacular amount of exhibitions on different science issues. I only walked through some of them:

- Science Storms, which shows how different natural phenomena take place on Earth

- You, which is an exhibition about different aspects of human biology and behaviour

- Genetics, which tells us about the main basis and applications of genetics

As I am an Environmental Scientist, I was very interested in the firs of them. Displays were amazing, but I'd dare to say that they aren't well designed for people to get the point. Panels were very interactive and eye-catching, but at the end you missed the lesson. They should be a bit more pedagogical.

We also did a lab activity in which we had to find out how many pence and marbles were hidden in a film canister. I liked the activity, and this is what I'd take for my lessons, because my students often make questions about how things can be described or studied if it is impossible to look at them. I always try to explain them that visual methods are neither the only ones that can be used, nor the most accurate in some circumstances. So I would use exactly the same lab experience and then I would ask them what other subjects could be studied without using a visual based procedure.

Nice weekend everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment