Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 1 / Chicago Center for Green Technology

Today morning, we've been to the Chicago Center for Green Technology. This center uses a great combination of techniques to reduce both air and water pollution, and to save water and energy. Although I didn't find any of their strategies very innovative, I think it is a good model of a comprehensive approach to sustainable building.

Anyway I got inspiring ideas for my lessons. Syllabus of different levels include contents related to sustainability in different ways and depth, so I'll focus my writing on the oldest students. This is a short summary of what I'd do.

1) First of all I would discuss with them the meaning of some concepts such as sustainability, efficiency, etc.

2) After that, I'd give them a case study: I would show them what the main ecological problems are in a specific city / town /area and I would ask them to think about the probable causes for it.

3) Now, we would go into a more creative and reflexive phase. They should design a building twith the purpose to reach sustainability, to increase energy efficiency and to reduce air and water pollution. They should list as many ideas as they could.

4) It would be a kind of a competition. I (the teacher) would choose the best design and the author/s should make a presentation of it.

5) To conclude,  I would make my own presentation about my trip to the Chicago Center for GT, so that they could see an example of how we can be sustainable only by means of a good planning that includes many simple ideas. I took several photos and a brochure for good information.

Permeable pavement allows rainwater to be absorbed into the ground.

Solar panels that convert the sun's light into electricity for the building.

My purpose in doing this activity would be to make the students aware that being sustainable is not a difficult target, but that requires a previous planning and to be willing to it. I would also want them to reflect about sustainable buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment